Awesome! All around us...
The Book of Awesome – Neil Pasricha
“Sometimes it’s easy to forget the things that make us smile. Sometimes it’s tempting to feel the world is falling apart. But awesome things are all around us"
- Popping bubble wrap
- The smell of rain on a hot sidewalk
- Hitting a bunch of green lights in a row
- Waking up and realizing it's Saturday
- Fixing electronics by smacking them
- Being the first table called up to the dinner buffet at a wedding
- When the cashier opens a new lane at the grocery store
- When you're really tired and about to fall asleep and someone throws a blanket on you
- High-fiving babies
- Bakery air – the smell of bread or cookies baking
- Finding your keys after looking forever
- Licking the cake mix batter off the mixer beaters
- Tripping and realizing no one saw you – for me, a biggie!
Recently I was introduced to The Book of Awesome, which I immediately
bought for myself from Amazon for $11.08. The things listed above are totally awesome and got me to thinking about all the awesome things around me. Our own personal mountains to start with. There’s never a day when the mountains aren’t majestic,
beautiful, sometimes wearing clouds ‘round their shoulders, but always glorious. Currently, covered with green. Awesome!
Roses blooming and when you have enough,
you can take a whole bunch in the house and put some on the kitchen table, some on your dresser. Awesome!
Epiphyllum orchid cactus flowers like these, that bloom year
after year from cuttings my Dad gave me years ago. Awesome!
Seeing deer just up the street from your house and when you stop your car to look at them, they just slowly
turn their heads and look at you like you’re an interesting oddity that stopped by. Awesome!
Having lunch with family and realizing your grandchildren are amazing
adults that you really like because they’re funny and bright and great to hang out with. Awesome!
Getting invited to the local library’s Open House to be
one of several local authors and selling several of one’s books. Awesome!
Planning for months to take a trip to Texas to see youngest daughter, Crissy, and her little girls and tomorrow’s the day. Awesome!
Realizing for the millionth time that God really loves me: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jer. 29:11 (NIV) Awesome!
Hearing the 23rd Psalm in a slightly different version, really paying attention, and realizing the truth of “goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” Awesome!
Walking with my darling husband of 49 years and just holding hands and being happy. Awesome!
Look around you, dear friends and family and find the Awesome that’s lurking all around your life....
- The head massage you get at the hair dresser.
- A thank you wave when you let somebody merge in front of you.
- Having a whole row to yourself on an airplane